If you’re anything like me then when a recipe calls for a couple of sticks of celery you go out and buy a whole bunch. Before even finding room in the fridge for it you cut off and throw away the ‘ends’ including all of the celery leaves. Well last weekend I finally put the ends and leaves to good use – and made this three green salad. It’s a great one for those days when you’re trying to detox or minimise carbs after a spell of over indulging. The addition of kale gives it a protein hit and the chilli gives your metabolism a kick.
Not only does it take a mere 10 minutes to prepare but this salad makes a great alternative to a green juice or smoothie for those occasions when you really need to chew to feel fulfilled.
Ingredients (makes 4 generous portions)
- Leaves and ends from one bunch of celery
- One bunch of kale – stalks removed
- One quarter of a savoy or green cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh chilli or dried chill flakes
- Salt & pepper
Steps to prepare
- Wash and dry the celery and kale. Then roughly chop the celery and break up the kale leaves into bite size pieces with your hands.
- Add the celery to a large mixing bowl. Toss the kale in a bowl with a little of the oil and then cook I the oven at 180C for 5-10 mins until soft.
- While the kale cooks combine the remaining oil, lemon juice chilli flakes and seasoning to make the dressing.
- Finely grate or slice the cabbage. Remove the kale from the oven, allow to cool for a minute and then transfer it to the bowl with the cabbage.
- Gradually pour in the dressing and, with clean hands, combine everything in the mixing bowl.
Serve this salad by itself if you’re detoxing or otherwise as a side with a main meal.
– Got a few carrots that need using? Dice them into sticks and throw them into the salad to add some colour.
– Boost the carb content of this salad by stirring through a cup of cooked chickpeas.
By Feast Wisely
Other posts you may like: