Is your New Year detox in full swing? Perhaps you’re trying hard to start 2019 by avoiding all things naughty and hoping to lose a few kilos in the process. I say trying because giving up things that taste great is never easy. Yes, most detox regimes can feel like deprivation – as it’s challenging to prepare healthy meals that are super low in calories and carbohydrates that also tick the boxes of being delicious, filling and feasty.
That’s where this super simple cabbage and mushroom bake comes in. It’s detox friendly whilst at the same time being satisfying and tasty. And of course if you’re not counting calories and carbs then serve this bake with some crusty bread and a good grating of Parmesan!
This recipe was inspired by a classic Italian cabbage dish called ‘Peasant Soup’. It originates from the island of Sardinia and is basically a soup made from simple budget friendly staples, like onions, beans and stock – and of course cabbage. Here’s my version…..
- 1 medium savoy cabbage (or other green cabbage)
- 300-400g mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- Salt & black pepper
- Olive oil
- A can of cannellini beans
- Porcini mushrooms
- 5-6 anchovies finely chopped if you’re not vegan (highly recommended!)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then thinly slice the onions, garlic and cabbage.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the cabbage and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the oregano or basil, nutmeg and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Optional – add anchovies (highly recommended) and/or cannellini beans stir them through the cabbage mix.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven proof baking dish and pour over the stock.
- Finely slice the mushrooms and place them in a layer on top of the bake.
- Optional – generously grate over some parmesan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes.